Setup/Configure Outlook Express for POP3 Gmail Access
Setting up Outlook Express for Gmail is very similar to setting up Outlook Express to access other Email accounts.
However you need to pay attention to the POP3 and SMTP server configurations as they use Secure socket layer or TLS encryption which require that you configure different port numbers.
You also need to configure SMTP authentication.
- First Enable/configure your Gmail account for POP3/IMAP4 if you haven't already done so
- Open Outlook Express.
- Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts
- Click add and select mail. The Internet connection wizard opens.
- Enter your display name ( how you would like to be known) and click next.
- Enter your full Gmail email address (email@example.com) in the email address field.
and click Next.
- Enter pop.gmail.com in the Incoming mail (POP3) server field. Enter smtp.gmail.com in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field.
- Click Next.
- Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') in the Account name field. This is the account name you use to logon to Google mail. Enter your Gmail password in the
and click Next.
- Click 'Finish.'
- Highlight pop.gmail.com under Account, and click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
- Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under Outgoing Mail (SMTP).
- Enter 465 in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
- Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Incoming mail (POP3).The port should change to 995, if not change it.
- Click the Servers tab, and check the box next to My server requires authentication.
- The use same settings as incoming server radio button
Related Articles and Resources: